By Para Mehta, RD/ www.healthfulfilling.com
This weekend a lot of you might be shopping for that perfect gift for Mom. Last year, we discussed how nice it would be to give Mom the gift of time–time for herself that she hardly gets, by finding ways for Mom to get a few extra minutes a day to devote toward her health and well being. We want to continue to encourage that thought process this year. For anyone who did succeed with finding ways to help Mom out so she can get more time to herself, have you noticed any positive changes? Moms do so much for everyone else, so they need to take time out for themselves to nurture their health.
One of the best gifts you can include for Mother’s Day is the ability to encourage and motivate your Mom to take time for herself and focus more on her health. Here are a few ideas to consider:
- Instead of buying Mom a health club membership to get more exercise, offer to join her to exercise at the club a few times a week, or find a good friend of Mom’s to join with her.
- Offer to go for a walk or bicycle ride with Mom a few times a week.
- Together with Mom, take up a sport or class that involves physical activity like martial arts, or dance, that you both enjoy.
- Instead of buying one very expensive item for Mom, buy a package of massage or spa treatments to last the year, for Mom to get rejuvenated every couple of months. Or, you can pitch in to buy it with the other kids in the family.
- Get into the habit of helping Mom cook a few healthy meals for the family every week to keep up healthy eating habits.
- Kids can help Mom with making lunches for school.
- Just check in on Mom if she needs a hand with anything a few times a week. It can help Mom feel less overwhelmed, and make Mom feel so love and appreciated!
Wishing all Moms a happy Mother’s Day; remember to take time for yourselves to enhance your health and wellbeing.